Saturday, May 31, 2008



Book Review #79
Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Rating: zero stars (out of four)

Nick sees his old girlfriend coming towards him with a new guy and he can't let her see him like this, so he asks the girl next to him to be his girlfriend for just five minutes.

This book was trash - complete and total trash, with the F-word making an appearance at least every other page and other profanities littered across the story I found it highly offensive and vulgar. I didn't have to read much to realize what kind of book this would become, and needless to say, I did not finish this book. I cannot respect authors who degrade the name of literature by peppering their novels with filth and immorality. I was not impressed with the writing style, nor the characters and felt that having each chapter switching characters was tedious and annoying because they always backtracked. Now you are probably wondering why I even picked up this book in the first place, good question! I had seen it several places and it's name and cover art had been logged in my mind and I decided to put it on hold. The story line is totally unrealistic, and has these two unhappy people who become boy-friend and girl-friend for five minutes to both avoid people and find that they might just have found someone who Really understand them...yeah, right. I was disgusted with their methods of kissing random strangers so they could keep their "pride" in front of people who weren't even worth caring about. I find it really annoying how the people in the book can take one look at someone else and know their character and personality traits, all with just one discerning glance, you expect me to believe that the girl can look at the boy and know exactly what he is like and what he needs? Puh-lease. With novels like this gracing our bookstore shelves it's no wonder teenagers act the way they do. When they read books like this with no morals and a "feels good so do it" attitude how can you expect them to make good choices?

4 comments:

  1. LAME review.
    Just saying, but this is one of the best books I've ever read.
    I think it's just a matter of tastes though because I loved everything about it.

    You should read something else by David Levithan, though.
    He's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my gut reaction when I read this book. I still stand behind my review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about the extreme over use of the F-word, but I enjoyed the book overall. I liked the writing style and felt that the book got better as it went along, but I was a lot put off by the F-word all the time. It's grating, and every they used it I felt jarred out of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree with your review and have written a rebuttal on my blog:

    ReplyDelete